Monday, April 6, 2015

Week 12 Reading Diary A: Dice Games

For me, the main takeaway from this reading is NO DICE GAMES! Apparently, there is some kind of math to it because the Ayodhyan king said he could teach Vahuka (Nala) how to win at dice. Seems like guess work to me. I don’t understand why both Nala and Yudhishthira gambled away everything they had! After losing a couple of times, I would have quit. Probably a pride thing.

I especially liked the story of Nala and Damayanti. It was kind of a bummer most of the time, but it had a happy ending. I enjoy the inner stories Buck incorporates into the larger story of the Pandavas and the Kauravas. They add a good depth to the story that keeps it very entertaining.

One of my favorite parts of this reading was when Arjuna was brought up to heaven to meet his father Indra. That part was nice. I like reunion scenes like that.

(Indra Welcomes Arjuna)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! So I was wondering how other people in this class handled the reading diaries in comparison to myself, so that is why I decided to look at this post. This was one of the most memorable scenes for me, but also one of the stupidest and most frustrating! It seems to me that you did a good job summarizing the events, though you did this mostly through reflecting on your own feelings.

    ReplyDelete