Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 3 Reading Diary B: Battle and Conclusion

A particular episode I liked in this reading was the building of the bridge to Lanka. I thought it was neat how animals dragged rocks and things into the ocean to help Rama across. The author mentions that even squirrels rolled pebbles for the construction, which is kind of cute (147).

Hanuman is a great character. I liked when Ravana punished Hanuman’s trespassing by lighting his tail on fire, and Hanuman used it against him by burning all of Lanka to ash with it. That is for sure making the best of a bad situation. And after Rama has been poisoned during battle, Hanuman carries him on his shoulders to fight Ravana. At the end of the story, after the battle, Hanuman is swift enough to reach Bharata to deliver Rama’s message before he immolates himself. Hanuman’s just kind of a rockstar and, no doubt, invaluable to Rama.


(Rama and Hanuman fighting Ravana)

One part I took special note of was when the author said, “During his narration the story-teller would not miss any chance for a contemporary reference. He would compare the Pushpak Vimana to a modern airliner, with the additional capacities that it could be piloted by mere thought and that its space could expand to accommodate as many as would want to get into it” (169). When brainstorming for my storybook, I was thinking I might want to try to work around some sort of contemporary framework, so I liked the passage. It inspired a lot of ideas I intend to further consider in the next few weeks as I start to set up my storybook.

No comments:

Post a Comment