Thursday, January 22, 2015

Week 2 Storytelling: Sukracharya and the Dwarf


(The Dwarf, an incarnation of Vishnu. Web Source: Wikimedia Commons)
It was just when Sukracharya had brought Mahabali to the height of power that it was all ruined by a man for whom height had never been an advantage. For years, he served as Mahabali’s advisor, guiding him through the takeovers of many vast kingdoms. By his lead, Mahabali had become the most powerful man in this world. Mahabali had almost entire control of everything to all corners of the earth, and Sukracharya had almost entire control of Mahabali. Almost.

Eventually, Sukracharya began to hear rumors among the people that many of the subjected rulers were discontented with their over ruler, to the point of hostile recourse. This news put him on his guard, and he became wary of any sort of tricks intended to bring down Mahabali. Certain he could himself take care of any sort of uprising and seeing no need to cause him worry, Sukracharya made sure Mahabali was not aware of the rumors. He knew that confidence was key for leading such a sprawling empire, and he also knew that a level of ignorance was key for such confidence. Maintaining a reassuring degree of subtlety, Sukracharya took special precautions by gradually increasing guards, preparing secret emergency strategies, and accompanying Mahabali in any and all meetings and dealings.

So when a diminutive man of Brahmin origin arrived to speak with Mahabali, Sukracharya, guarded and suspicious as ever, was not so easily impressed as the king was. Although he seemed charming and gracious, the dwarf also exuded an air of great power that alarmed him. Mahabali noticed it too, but he felt more privilege than alarm, so much so that he made a promise to the small and remarkable individual before him that he would grant any one of his desires. At this, a sick sense of panic spread over Sukracharya. Wise in the ways and in the history of empirical rule, he knew that such extreme vows had the capability of triggering the demise of even the most powerful kings. He pulled Mahabali aside and warned him against such drastic generosity, but Mahabali was enraged that Sukracharya, who had usually always given him such sound advice, would try to hinder his kindness now.

Mahabali proceeded with his promise, and he was surprised when the dwarf asked for a piece of land no bigger than three of his own tiny stride lengths. Only too eager to grant such a simple request, Mahabali began to enact a water oath by pouring water on the small man’s hand. Sukracharya, however, now certain of trickery, used his magic to turn into a bee. He flew into the spout of the water vase and used all his might to block the water from coming out. He was pleased with himself for successfully obstructing the opening, and thereby thwarting the deal. To his surprise, though, the dwarf struck him with a piece of grass and he came tumbling out the vase.

As he sat up, returning to his normal size, he was horrified to discover that the blade of grass had pierced his eye, rendering him half-blind. Through his good eye, he saw the water hit the dwarf’s hand, and instantly he transformed into a giant. Claiming the king’s prize, he took two strides to take back the heavens and the earth. And Sukracharya watched as, with his third promised step, he squashed Mahabali to his death.



Author’s Note:
     I selected Mahabali’s Story from Narayan’s Ramayana to retell from this week’s reading because I thought it would be interesting to tell it from a different perspective, that of the meddling advisor Sukracharya. I thought that the part of the story where he turns into a bee was really noteworthy, but it was only briefly mentioned parenthetically, so I wanted to elaborate on that and make him the main character in my retelling.
     I was able to find a good picture of Vamana, the dwarf incarnation of Vishnu. I think it represents well how non-threatening and unassuming his appearance was. To me, this adds to the believability that Mahabali would make such grand promises to someone he had only just met without any worry.
     I decided to leave out the dwarf's true identity (Vishnu) just because of the perspective I was telling it from. I really wanted the story to be centered around Sukracharya's point of view, and I thought that he would not have known who the dwarf-turned-giant was until well after the fact. The whole occurrence would have happened very quickly, and he had just been left half-blind as the dwarf was assuming his more godlike form. So I tried not to include any information in the story that Sukracharya would not have known himself.

Bibliography: Narayan, R.K. (1972). The Ramayana.

5 comments:

  1. Allison,

    Great story! I thought it was really unique to use the perspective of Sukracharya, and to elaborate on the part where he turns into a bee. You could tell this story was well thought out and it had a good rhythm. I really enjoyed it. I also really liked the image you picked.

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved that you retold this story in the view point of Sukarcharya. I really love the details of your story and the plot twists throughout. I really liked the part about Sukarcharya's skill in becoming a bee and thinking how he thought he was successful but the blade got his eye! Your story was an interesting read and I enjoyed your image as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the story from Sukracharyas perspective. Something about there being no dialog was intriguing. Your attention to the details in the situation is fantastic. My favorite part was when he knew that there was some sort of trickery happening and he used his magic to turn into a bee. The image you chose gave me a great mental image of this Dwarf that Sukracharyas was dealing with. He does look like a sneaky character. The detail about how he flew into the vase and kept the water from coming out was a great addition. To bad that that sneaky dwarf had a blade of grass, and that it unfortunately pierced his eye… I can only imagine the pain! I am glad he got the kinds prize and got to squish that sneaky dwarf. I liked that you continued the use of his shape shifting ability. You are a great storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison!!! :) I am so excited that we are taking an online class together. How fun! Also, I did not know you had a twin brother (I’m jealous because I think twins are the coolest thing ever).

    For your Week 2 Storytelling, I considered picking this story because I am tall and I thought it would be silly inside joke to myself for picking a story about a Dwarf (since you know how tall I am I decided to share this not so funny joke). Anyways, you are also a great writer! I love how much detail you have and how you amplified the bee scene.

    ReplyDelete