Sunday, January 18, 2015

Famous Last Words for Week 1

I started the first week of classes pretty unorganized, but I think I had a good schedule figured out by the end of the week. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I have about three hours between my Linear Algebra and Signals and Systems classes. So I plan to use that time for working on Epics of India reading and writing, as well as Fridays after class. I was able to keep up with the assignments alright, but I'd like to get more ahead on them than I am now. Next week, in particular, I'm going to visit my brother in Chicago, so I would like to get most of the assignments done before I leave on Wednesday.

(personal photo from when I visited my brother last year at this time; February 2014)

Writing is something I am very slow at. I enjoy it, but historically, writing assignments take me much, much longer than other kinds of schoolwork. In that regard, I think it's important that I maintain a good writing schedule for the semester. I have a good study space in Devon Energy Hall where I think I can focus well in a quiet environment. That's where I intend to do most of my writing this semester.

Reflecting on the first week of this class, I really like the blogging aspect of it. It was fun to create my own blog; I've never done that before. I also very much enjoyed looking at my classmates' blogs and reading through their introductions. Most of the classes I take are with other people in my major (Computer Engineering), and so it's interesting to communicate with OU students studying things very different than I am. I am looking forward to the rest of the semester, for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Allison, my first week of school was very similar to yours. It was full disorganization and long hours of work and school. Within my major, I write a lot and the best advice I can give to someone who struggles is to just start writing because procrastination is the route of failure in writing. I know this post is a few weeks later, but I hope that you were able to fulfill your goals of getting ahead and I hope that your trip to Chicago was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,

    How exciting that you got to visit your brother in Chicago. I have two sisters but they are both in Oklahoma, so I don't have to travel too far to visit them. That's awesome that you get to study in the Devon Energy Hall. That place is awesome! I like to do most of my studying in my room. Good luck with the rest of class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Allison,
    I am glad that your first week of classes have been going great this semester. You will find out soon how much fun this class can really be! Creating blogs and websites are interesting. I took the other class last semester, and it was such a great experience I could not pass up this class! I hope everything is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Allison!

    Wow, you're an engineering major. I always have a lot of respect for engineering majors because I've personally seen through my roommate—who was a biochemical engineer major—how tough and stressful it is. I'm pre-med with a major in Microbiology and similar to you, I like how this class lets me meet people from all over campus. Its kind of a nice shift from the same kids I see in my science classes every semester.

    I also like your writing schedule. I love to write but I've realized I love it so much that I lose track of how much time I spend on it, which usually ends up being a lot longer than the time limit I set for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    I noticed you had not written a “Famous Last Words” post in quite a while, so I am wondering how your semester is going now. Hopefully you managed to keep up with the schedule, or even get ahead like you said! I like the picture of you and your brother; you both look so happy! I also enjoy the blogging aspect of this class; it is not something I have ever done before!

    ReplyDelete