Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 6 Reading Diary B: Everyone was Dead and then Everyone was Not Dead

What a comeback! I admit I was shocked when Indrajit killed Sugriva and Angada and all of the monkeys and bears. When I read that he killed Rama and Lakshmana, I had to go back and reread the last couple of pages because I thought I read it wrong. How could Rama be dead!?! I already know this story --- it has a happy ending! If this happened in Narayan’s version, either I have forgotten it or I overlooked it the first time, because I was surprised, for sure. At that point I figured there had to be some sort of magic revival coming because Rama is the hero! Leave it to good ol’ Hanuman to restore a whole army in almost no time flat.

I liked Kumbhakarna more in this version than in the last. In Narayan’s, he just seemed like a brutish, bloodthirsty warmonger. In Buck’s, I got more of a sense that he really thought Ravana was in the wrong, but that he fought for him out of brotherly loyalty. For that, I felt more sympathetic to his character. He didn’t really pose much of a threat to Rama’s army, though I expected he would.

Indrajit, however, dealt a swift and massive blow. Within a paragraph, he wiped out all of my favorite characters! And by the next, he had killed Rama and Lakshmana, and Hanuman was out for the count too. But only temporarily. Lucky Rama had that awesome monkey warrior fighting on his side. Hanuman’s the real MVP.

(Indrajit's Attack)

No comments:

Post a Comment