Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B: Rama's Exile and Guha

This part of the reading read a lot like Narayan’s, in my opinion. The big difference I noted was the elaboration of Guha’s character. He was very interesting, a funny little woodsman, and I think it might be fun to retell one of his stories this week.

I was really surprised by his story about the first time Kaikeyi brought up her two wishes to Dasaratha. I don’t think that was in Narayan’s version, or if it was, I can’t recall it now. Up to the point where she uses the wishes for Bharata’s coronation and Rama’s exile, she seems very pleasant and innocent, especially by Rama’s account of her. But Guha’s story indicates that her meddling nature was evident earlier on. She was willing to learn the animal language from him on his funeral pyre. Her selfishness is clearer knowing this story, which doesn’t come for the reader, or for Rama, until his exile in the forest.


(Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana in the forest)

It struck me, in both versions, just how forgiving Rama is. He really bears no ill will to Kaikeyi at any point, even when all of Ayodhya disparages her ruthlessly. He is fully willing to serve his exile, and he remains fond of his traitorous step-mother throughout.

I am so far a big fan of Buck’s version. It is easy and fun to read, and the plot flows well. I look forward to reading the rest of it. As class reading goes, this one is definitely a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment